The Boho Baker's Hot Honey Challah
THE BOHO BAKER'S HOT HONEY CHALLAH
Prep Time: 2 Hours
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
100g hot honey
100ml lukewarm water
7g sachet of dried/instant yeast
500g strong white bread flour
1 tbsp chilli flakes
2 tsp salt
2 medium eggs plus 1 yolk (save the white for glazing)
60ml vegetable oil
- Stir the yeast into the lukewarm water. Add 1tsp of the sugar and leave to foam for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt, and chilli flakes. Make a well in the centre of the bowl and add the eggs, yolk, hot honey, and yeast mixture. Stir to form a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured worktop and knead for 10 minutes. Alternatively, use a mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix for 6 minutes on a medium speed. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and leave to rise for 90 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 3 or 6 pieces (depending on how you wish to braid it). Roll each piece out to the thickness of a 10p coin before rolling it into a sausage.
- If using 3 pieces, braid the strands of dough as you would your hair. If 6, take the last scroll on the right and pass it under the third from the left. Repeat until fully braided.
- Cover the challah with lightly oiled clingfilm or a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C Fan / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Brush the top of the challah with the remaining egg white and sprinkle with chilli flakes. Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden.