Ellie's Nut & Mushroom Roast Parcel
Created by Ellie, Buyer, Central Office
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 100g white mushrooms, chopped
- 100g assorted lightly toasted chopped nuts
- 50g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 15g plain flour
- 2 large finely chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 12 chopped fresh sage leaves
- 75g chopped cooked chestnuts
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 100ml Marigold vegan bouillon stock
- 2 tbsp Brandy
- Sunflower oil to fry
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Large savoy cabbage leaves
- 2 red peppers cut into long thin strips
- Fry the garlic, chestnut and white mushrooms in oil until the juices start to run. Remove from the pan and set aside. Return the juices to the heat and add the brandy. Simmer for a few seconds before adding the bouillon. Set the stock to one side.
- Gently fry the shallots in oil until soft. Add the flour and cook slowly whilst stirring for 1 minute. Add the marmite and mustard and stir thoroughly. Add the mushrooms, sage, breadcrumbs, chestnuts, assorted nuts and seasoning.
- Gradually add the stock to the dry mixture until it is quite moist and holds it shape.
- In a separate pan gently fry the red pepper until soft and set aside. Save 3 or 4 strips for decoration.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the cabbage leaves and blanch for 40 seconds. Strain the leaves and plunge into
cold water. Drain well.
- Line an oiled serving dish with overlapping cabbage leaves, leaving any excess hanging over the sides. Spoon in alternate layers of the nut mixture and remaining cooked peppers, until the dish is almost full. Press mixture down firmly, after each layer.
- Fold the leaves over the mixture to create a sealed parcel. Arrange the reserved red pepper strips over the top like parcel ribbons. Cover loosely with foil and bake at 180°C for 35 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven for a further 10 to 15 minutes until slightly browned.