1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / fan 160°C / gas mark 4. Place 8 cupcake cases in a cupcake baking tin.
2. In a bowl whisk together the margarine and sugar until fluffy.
3. Gradually add the eggs and flour until combined. If the mixture looks as if it’s separating add a little more flour.
4. Add the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, treacle and golden syrup and mix together using a wooden spoon until everything is combined.
5. Spoon the mixture evenly into the cupcake cases, filling them about 3/4 full and then bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Let the cakes cool completely before transferring to a wire rack to decorate.
6. To make the buttercream, in a bowl whisk the margarine until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar.
7. In a separate bowl, melt the white chocolate and leave it to cool enough before adding it to the buttercream. Add the orange essence and stir until everything is combined.
8. Place the buttercream in a piping bag and pipe the icing onto each cupcake to form the Christmas tree. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar and decorate as desired using sprinkles of your choosing.
DAWN SAYS "I’ve always enjoyed baking and this was the first time I have tried out a recipe of my own. I have always taken part in fundraising
bake sales we’ve held in store, which is where this idea originally started.”