2. Place the carrots, sugar, butter, salt, star anise and water in a saucepan, and bring to the boil.
3. Turn down and simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
4. Meanwhile, chop the hazelnuts and place in a bowl with the Panko breadcrumbs, dried onions and salt. Add a few spoonfuls of the carrot butter to the breadcrumb mix to moisten.
5. Place the hot carrots on a platter with plenty of buttery sauce.
6. Top with the hazelnut crumb and serve.
CHEF'S TIPS This works well with parsnips and butternut squash. Don’t throw away any of the carrot butter. It will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can use it in soups, sauces and as a spread for bread.